The Results: Some Good. Some Bad.

Well ladies and gents, The House of Representatives has gone to the Democrats. As of right now, the Senate is still up in the air with two races too close to call. Although, the way the edges look, it appears that the Senate will go over to the Democrats as well. Time for President Bush to break out the veto pen.

Democrat Governor Granholm was reelected. I'm not thrilled about it but at least the other guy didn't win. Fortunately, Congressman Fred Upton kept the 6th District. Even though he loses his chairmanship, I am still proud to have him serve us. The Michigan Republicans also hold on to the Attorney General and Secretary of State offices.

My State Senator appears to have kept his seat although I'm not sure I can say the same about my State Rep. Although the precincts reporting were low, his democratic challenger was in the lead. It is possible that he did win, and that the reporting precincts were in democratic rich areas such as Niles.

The Proposals were a mix bag as well.
Proposal 1 passed overwhelmingly. I don't understand why voters want to tie up funds.

Proposal 2, The Michigan Civil Rights Initiative also passed. No more affirmative action programs within the state. I hope the courts are bracing for this one.

Proposal 4, Eminent Domain passed. I am very pleased about that.

Proposal 5, which would have tied up funds for education did not pass. It makes me wonder why Michigan voters would tell the state that they can't touch funding for state parks (Proposal 1) but they don't have to set aside money for education. Even though I didn't vote yes on Proposal 5, I would have been more partial to funding education than protecting funds for recreation.

It's almost time for me to get to work. Perhaps I'll post more later.

(Did I just hear some groaning?)

Comments

john said…
Not sure if my last comment went through so here it is again:
I need to get reaquainted with politics again. My head is so stuck in these medical books.
David said…
yeah, but those medical books are what is going to earn you some money. Politics doesn't pay the rent. Believe me, I graduated with Political Science.
Luke said…
Hmm... not sure I agree with you too much on politics David. :)
David said…
Luke, consider yourself in good company. Not many people who visit this blog do. But you never know, I might surprise you on some things.
Minge said…
Whether we agree or not, isn't it great that we can talk about it? J'adore it and j'adore David.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?