My Super Ex-Girlfriend

What a fun piece of crud.

I’ve been waiting for a little bit for My Super Ex-Girlfriend to come to town. When I saw the preview for it a few months back it looked quirky—something fun. I’ve seen movies with the psycho ex but I’ve never seen a psycho ex with superpowers. For the $2.50 I spent on it, I thought it was worth every penny. Season, said that it was better than Superman and Pirates of the Carribean 2. I don’t know about Pirates though… I did have to see that a second time. :-) No review this time, just a few quick comments.

The basic story is this average guy (Luke Wilson) who gets involved with the superhero, G-Girl (Uma Thurman). Because of her neediness, jealously, and a little neurosis, the guy breaks up with her. Well, G-Girl flips out and tries to make his life a living hell. Hell hath no fury… and all that stuff.

As much as I like Luke Wilson, I really could not get myself to believe his character. Why would he have problems with women? It just did not compute. Uma Thurman was good choice but she did strike me as looking a little different. I thought she looked very sexy in Gattaca. This one…. Eh. Anna Faris outside a Scary Movie film? At least she didn’t carry too much of her character over to this one. And Wanda Sykes, why couldn’t they have given her more scenes?

Eddie Izzard! I had to find out who Barry was ever since he showed up in the movie. He looked so familiar yet I could never think of who he was reminding me of. Believe it or not, one of my thoughts was, “That outfit doesn’t really suit him.” Ah, now I know why.

Comments

Brian Farrey said…
I don't get the problems I keep reading that people I are having with Pirates.

"It was too long." So was the first one! You could easily cut 20 minute out of either.

"It was boring." That's a matter of perspective. Frankly, yes, Orlando Bloom may be the world's first visual dosage of Sominex. I was so not interested any time he was on the screen. But I understood him to be a necessary evil to get me some Johnny Depp.

C'mon, it can't be all that awful or it still wouldn't be number one. Granted, everybody whined about how awful DAVINCI CODE was and it still held number one at the box off for a few weeks (and morons are STILL buying the friggin' book...).

Thanks for the warning on Super Ex. I was considering it but maybe I'll stick to my "only see spectacle movies on the big screen" theory.
David said…
I honestly enjoyed it but I also went in with lower expectations than Superman and Pirates so that might have something to do with it. Plus... Luke Wilson.
Minge said…
I saw the trailer for My Super-Ex... just over a week ago when we went to see Superman. It looked good. I might not bother now.

Thanks for the warning.

Btw - Superman returns was, IMHO, a pile of shite.
PJS said…
Plus, Luke Wilson used a butt double. I read it on Slate.com.
David said…
^Oh I know! I didn't care if he had a cratered ass. Men with worse physiques have shown much more.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?