The Devil Wears Prada

***Spoiler alert for the internationals and possibly PJS***

“It’s four times better [than Superman Returns]”

And there you have it, the review for The Devil Wears Prada.

Just joking.

Believe me when I say that I have no fashion sense whatsoever. Hell, I never even knew what Prada was until Paris Hilton came along. Dolce and Gabanna? I had that confused with Dean and Deluca-- which I only realized was real and not a fake set on Felicity, when it was shown in the movie Hannibal. I’m just a mid-western guy who only recently started to wear collared shirts once again after a decade and half love affair with the T-shirt. Jeans and khaki pants were all I wore. There were only two pairs of shoes: tennis and brown dress up shoes. Yeah—it was pretty bad. Actually, it’s still bad.

So I thought I would try to activate my little homo gene a little by watching The Devil Wears Prada. It looked like it was choked up with snarky fun. I tell you, I was not disappointed. Although it didn’t scare me back into jeans and shirts, I will think twice before I ever entertain the thought of entering a high fashion clothing store. (You know, once I get that high-paying job in NYC or Chi-town.)

Basically the movie is about a recent graduate from Northwestern (Yay, Big Ten!) who turns down a seat at Stanford Law to become an executive assistant to a fashion magazine editor named Miranda (Meryl Streep). In order to survive her job, she begins to internalize the fashion culture. In effect, she sells her soul. This obviously conflicts with her natural personality and she has to choose whether she wants to live the high life or a more honest one. You can guess which one she chooses. Films like these are pretty predictable, but I don’t watch them because they break new ground. They are feel good movies and kind of remind us to be careful of which paths we take.

Meryl Streep is prefect for this role. Although, she did remind me of Glenn Close in 101 Dalmatians when I saw the previews. Streep had me hating her for the entire movie except for maybe those few minutes of her vulnerability towards the end. I actually noted how my attitude towards her had shifted during the movie. Is this the sign of a great actress? I think so. I’m not aware of any other movies that I have seen with Meryl Streep, but I may have to start looking out for them.

Anne Hathaway did a good job with her character. I liked her even though I did get a little flashback to The Princess Diaries when she started to embrace her new wardrobe. Simon Baker is looking old. And really, was his character really that necessary? If so, couldn’t they have found someone different? He’s not looking so hot anymore. However, bonus points to Stanley Tucci and Emily Blunt for their performances.

Any more complaints? Other than some pacing issues, I really can’t make any. I did have a hard time understanding Miranda’s play for self-preservation but in the end, we knew what the result was so I guess it didn’t matter.

I’d see it again.

Comments

john said…
I may go see it. Although, I don't like Streep, all that much.
PJS said…
Oh curses! You've beaten me to the review. I will ignore John's comment about Meryl above (!).

I think it would be interesting for you to read the book and see what they changed, it was kind of a lot.

Now, about not seeing Meryl Streep in anything else, please go out immediately and rent or buy the following:

1) Death Becomes Her
2) Postcards from the Edge
3) She-Devil
4) The Hours
5) One True Thing
6) Marvin's Room
7) The Bridges of Madison County
8) Out of Africa
9) Manhattan

Actually I'd let you off the hook with just "Death Becomes Her" (a quote from which inspired the name of my blog) and "Postcards from the Edge". Please do this for me... and for yourself.

cheers
David said…
^I'll give it a looksie when I get the chance. Thanks for the suggestions!
Bob said…
I have to take you to task about Meryl's similarities to Glenn Close in Dalmations. Glenn was a campy, kabuki eyemakeup wearing delight, Meryl was a wry, sophisticated career woman.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?