Terri Schiavo

I am puzzled as to why the Terri Schiavo case has been blown up to this proportion. I have known about this unforntunate woman for a very long time and I never would have imagine that it would have come to this. At the time I first heard of this story, I thought that Michael Schiavo would eventually get his way and let his wife die. I still do, but it's amazing that it had gotten this out of hand.

Most people who know me are aware that I am a conservative. So I am a pro-life advocate. But what I am about to say is going to seem contradictory.

To my satisfaction, I have been convinced that she is brain dead and that she will not come out of this vegitative state. She had not written down that she wanted to be kept alive. So that leaves us with the wishes of the husband. Michael Schiavo, as her husband, trumps the parents in this case. That is the law. This case has recieved due process and the state courts have all said that Michael Schiavo has the right to decide. And he has decided to let her die.

So here is my dillema: On one hand, I believe that Terri should be kept alive. On the other, I believe that Michael Schiavo has the right to let his wife die.

These new developments with Congress and the President has disapointed me. This is a state issue (which as already been decided.) This is not a federal matter and it is inapporpriate to use this case for what I feel is political grandstanding. It's fine that the Republicans want to show their advocation of the right to life but don't use this case to do it.

If I could talk to Michael Schiavo, I would ask that he divorce Terri and give her over to her parents. They are willing to take on the responsibility for her. But if he said no, I have to respect that decision. From what I can see, "No." is what he would say.

What a crazy mess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?