Friday Observations

Tropical Storm Arlene


Posted by Hello

Poor Florida. They just can’t seem to get a break! Well, I guess the winter and spring are a break… but what I mean is that they are just getting all the bad luck with storms. Tropical Storm Arlene is threatening the “sunshine” state. As Roe said, all these storms are going to lower the average age in Florida to like… 92 years old.

Today’s Fashion Trends
I headed for University Park to peruse through some of the sales. Actually I was there to people watch more than anything else. As I said in a previous post, I’m not a fashionable person so I thought that I would check out what people are wearing. I’m noting the people in polos and cargo shorts. I realized that some people just copied what a mannequin was wearing and bought the same thing. Although it was something that I could easily pull off, I still got self-conscious. First, I thought I would just be copying the latest fashion trends (but that’s dumb, considering I want to appear a little more fashionable.) Second, I don’t think I have the body to pull some of this off. Take the tight t-shirt look. Nuh uh. No one needs to see me like that. Also the flip flops. Growing up in the tropics, I’m used to it and I’m used to other people wearing them but not here in Michigan! Sandals (without socks) I can handle but wearing flip flops to air conditioned malls and restaurants by a bunch of northerners is just too weird for me.

Chick-fil-A
Ever since I could remember, Chick-fil-A was just a novel fast food stall located at the University Park Mall. Sort of like Orange Julius. I probably tried it for the first time when I was in seventh grade. That was when I actually had a monthly allowance of some worth and I could go around the mall by myself. My first time there ended with me having half my fries and sandwich being eaten by my parents. But what I did manage to get away with was very good and on occasion, I would eat there if I was ever in the mall for a long period of time and if that period of time spanned over a dinner period.

As the shopping district continues to expand, new stores like Super Target, Pier 1 Imports, and Menards, are cropping up. A couple years ago, Chick-fil-A opened one of their regular joints. I tried it for the first time today and was it busy as hell. I might’ve left if I wasn’t committed to the drive through lane which doesn’t allow you to exit once you enter it (so hope your car is in good working order before you take the lane.) The wait wasn’t too horrible considering how many people were ahead of me.


This has to be some of the greatest company mascots ever.Posted by Hello

If you’re tired of the same old burgers and Taco Hell shoots right through you… give Chick-fil-A a try.

Coldplay


Coldplay's X&Y Posted by Hello

I went into Best Buy considering buying Coldplay’s new album X & Y. But being burned by sucky ass albums before, I wanted to preview it first. Best Buy has a computer station that is connected to Napster and I can listen to entire songs instead of 30 second previews. I didn’t listen to all the songs but I listened enough to realize that I would be just as satisfied if I downloaded the tracks I wanted. It would be cheaper than buying the whole thing. So instead of buying a $10 album, I walked out with a $49.40 Napster card that will credit me with 60 downloads. It sounds like a good idea…

I’m probably offending my more rabid conservative colleagues when they find out that I’m buying Coldplay songs. But you know what? I don’t really give a shit. I can separate my politics from other things in life. Just because Chris Martin and co. may be a bunch of left-wing nuts, doesn’t mean that I shouldn’t listen to their music. It’s great music! To me, it’s almost ridiculous as the Southern Baptist boycott of Disney because Disney is gay-friendly. Besides, I know that Mr. Martin and his wife are really conservatives at heart… all rich people are aren’t they? And this goes with the entire entertainment industry. I’ll still watch movies that star actors who are some of the most loud-mouthed kooks out there. It’s just coincidence that I really don’t watch most of them in the first place. I’ll just tell my boycotting friends that I’m more of a practicing capitalist than they are. Whoever sells the superior product or service gets my buck. I have no interest in their history or ideology… unless they are like Michael Jackson. [squirms]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Am I financing? Bwah ha ha ha!

Meet Bob