Hoping for Eclipse Part II

See also: In Casper, Wyoming to See the Eclipse

Shortly I will be on my way to see a solar eclipse. Where I will end up is uncertain but my main plan is to be in Texas. I chose Texas as April isn't exactly known for sunny days in Indiana or Ohio. 

So I have a reservation in Fort Stockton. Trying to find accommodations in the eclipse path proved to be difficult once I got my PTO from work approved. It's about 4 hours from where I think I will go - Eagle Pass which is on the border with Mexico. I'm guessing even Fort Stockton is filling up as I was contacted today by the hotel to see if I really needed two beds.


Eagle Pass has a designated place that will open to the public for parking. I hope that will go as smoothly as it did when I went to the last eclipse in Casper, Wyoming. Back then and there, I saw people camping on the road. But aside from having to wait in line for the fair grounds to open, there was plenty of room and nothing to worry about.

I am worry about the traffic since there are limited roads down there. I got lucky in Wyoming but I don't want to press that luck down there. So I will be make sure to bring an extra gas can and plan on sticking around until evening.

Who knows, though. If the weather turns out to be crappy down there and sunny up here, there's a possibility that I just head for Indy or Muncie. Two of my friends--Stacey and Kraig, and their kids are heading for a campground in Ohio. A coworker plans to see it at Cedar Point in Ohio. I hope that we all end up getting to see this. If you haven't seen a solar eclipse, I highly encourage you to seek one out.

Comments

JM said…
I'm excited. They say we should have a good view of it here in Columbus, so when my workplace started handing out eclipse glasses, I took a pair.
David said…
I think you will still need to go a little north. I bought some eclipse glasses for my coworkers. Goodwill gesture because I'm gonna be long gone while they will still have to work.

Popular posts from this blog

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Am I financing? Bwah ha ha ha!

Meet Bob