All I want for Christmas is...

Optimus Prime.

When I was around five or six, I desperately wanted Transformer toys. Transformers were one of my favorite cartoon shows. Unlike most of the other cartoons I watched, the toys made for this show were actually interesting. My parents managed to get me a few of the lesser known characters as they were cheaper but I wanted the big daddy of them all. I wanted Optimus Prime.

My earliest “evil” thought that I can remember deals with this toy. Sigsbee Elementary was behind my house and across a canal that I had to cross via a foot bridge. Although there were two parks at either end of my block, the school had the best equipment. So when I could, I went over there. I remember this kid who was playing with Optimus Prime along the wooden railway. It was in truck mode and he was making it go back and forth on his wheels. He had to be a kindergartener, which was a year younger than I. I watched him carefully making note that occasionally, he would leave Optimus behind for a few minutes to go run to his mom for whatever reason. I had decided that if the opportunity presented itself, I was going to steal his toy. It didn’t happen. That kid probably didn’t realize how fortunate he was.

Once I got a job and could actually afford an Optimus Prime toy, they had moved on to Beast Wars. Sorry, but only First Generation Transformers were the only ones acceptable. Never saw any until the other day when I went with Season to Toys R Us. I hadn’t been there in years but I separated myself from her to see if they had any Star Trek models. Instead I ran into Optimus Prime and practically pissed my pants with excitement. Then I nearly cried when I saw the price tag: $90. Three times more expensive than when I wanted it when I was a kid and definitely out of my budget.

One of these days…

Comments

Kapitano said…
Oh my. I remember the transformers. Though I never wanted one - I was always building things with lego.

Having said that, I did have all the Star Wars figures. Including two Darth Vaders.

But yes, the transformer toys were interesting and clever. Then fashion moved on to He-Man (who would probably seem just amazingly camp today) and the Cabbage Patch Dolls. Which for some reason, I really really hated.
David said…
Legos are awesome. I continued playing with those well into my teens.

I did have a couple toy figures from a number of shows including Star Wars and He-Man... and She-Ra. Usually they ended up buried in the back yard, victims of war games.
Anonymous said…
I just wanted to pass along that Jed and I have an original Optimus in mint condition. We found he last year and got a great deal on him. I will keep my eye out for one for you. Hope you had a great holiday.

Popular posts from this blog

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Am I financing? Bwah ha ha ha!

Meet Bob