Scalia's Death Starts the Race

I haven't been paying as much attention to politics lately as I normally do. I have pretty much written off the chances of voting for any of the republican contenders. Yesterday's death of US Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia has kick-started my attention.

Not long after the announcement of Scalia's demise, republicans have said that President Obama shouldn't be allowed to put a replacement on the bench. They say that the next president should make that choice. The arrogance from Cruz, McConnell, and the like is astounding. As if they have the presidency in the bag.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has already said that the Senate will obstruct any nominee that President Obama sends to them. More obstruction from congressional republicans. What else is new? I get that they have a political goal of not allowing another liberal onto the court and that they will use whatever powers that they possess. McConnells claims that the American people should decide. Well they did in the last election when they voted for President Obama and like it or not, it is job to put forth a replacement and it is the Senate's job to vote yes or no. But these republicans are saying that they will say no no matter what. If there is a claim that someone is not doing their jobs in Washington, I'm going to point to Senate Republicans before I point to the President.

As the obstruction in the senate goes on, Scalia's seat is going to be a rallying call to conservatives as to why they need to vote in this election. Considering how unhinged the they have been since Obergefell case, I think it will be a big issue. The democrats would do well, I think, to make it a point too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Meet Bob

Am I financing? Bwah ha ha ha!