The Hobbit Post

I remember back in college when I heard about this fantasy film that was coming out.  I was only vaguely aware of The Lord of the Rings.  My dad had read the books and recommended that I read them as well.  I never took his advice as I was not a fan of fantasy.  In my mind, it was superficial medieval stories infused with magic and monsters.  Had it been a sci-fi story, I'd be more inclined to try it out.  So the movie, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring came and went.  But eventually it made it to Wells Hall.

MSU's Wells Hall showed (and probably still does) free movies to dorm residents.  Otherwise it was $2 for students.  I had known that the movie was critically acclaimed and so I went.  I was blown away and became and instant fan.

Fast forward to now and I have been waiting with excitement to The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

The story starts off slow and we hang around the Shire for far too long in my opinion but once the company gets on their way, they run into problem after problem.  I wonder if their journeys to the Shire were met with half problems that they encountered on their way to the Lonely Mountain.

Some complaints out there go to the high frame rate.  Personally, I didn't even notice the difference.  Of course, I don't go to a high tech theater.  I also watched the 2-D version and I think that people who aren't keen on 3-D will still be satisfied with the picture.

Still, I wasn't that impressed with the movie. I enjoyed it but it was nowhere near as good as Jackson's previous LOTR films.

Comments

john said…
Oh, that makes me sad as I was really anticipating watching this movie!
David said…
Watch it. Just because it I didn't find it to be stellar doesn't mean that you wont. Remember what LeVar Burton said: "But you don't have to take my word for it."

Popular posts from this blog

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Meet Bob

Am I financing? Bwah ha ha ha!